Tuesday, April 9, 2013


My Peace Corps journey is officially over. Unfortunately, I was medically separated from the Peace Corps due herniated discs in my spine that could not be adequately treated in country. Health wise, I did not have the best of luck in country: MRSA, tarantula bites, multiple flea infestations, scabies, and numerous parasites and amoebas and to top it all off a back injury prove that. However I miss it terribly and would do it over again in a heartbeat. Leaving halfway through my service meant leaving projects unfinished and not seeing all the beauty and wonder Nicaragua has to offer but I had no choice. Upon returning home in February, my father was diagnosed with cancer and I knew that I would not be able to function worrying about his health and my own thousands of miles away. In a way, I am thankful for the medical separation because it took away the stress and regret over quitting. I hate quitting and it tears me up that I did not get to spend more time in Nicaragua working, improving Spanish, and getting to know more incredible people. There are so many beautiful things about Nicaragua. I strongly suggest visiting Nicaragua and Peace Corps also. At times when feeling down and envious over my fellow PCV’s posts and pictures, I remember the good times I had there and hug the greatest souvenir of all, my sweet Nicaraguan puppy.

Adiós Nicaragua and Peace Corps, thank you for teaching me so much like flexibility, listening skills, Spanish, and forcing my introverted shy self to be an outgoing, extrovert. I will treasure this experience for the rest of my life and am forever grateful to you for introducing me to my soul mate, Risa Pepita. 
Risa and I in the USA! 

2 comments:

Natalie Irene said...

you are wonderful.

Carli said...

Cherrie, I was so sad to see you and (not so little) Risa go...I wish you the best of luck in the states and I hope we can do a get together when I'm in CO! <3

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2010 Nicaragua, Peace Corps, and I.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.