Sunday, August 5, 2012




 One of the hardest parts about leaving for Peace Corps was leaving my two adorable and silly labs behind. Knowing I would miss them terribly and that my life would not be complete without a four-legged friend, I had always planned on getting a dog in service and I even created a Peace Corps puppy fund before leaving. Last week, I went to my sitemate’s house to hang out and was surprised to find a teeny and skittish puppy hiding behind a cabinet. Immediately, I freaked out and wanted to chinear (rock like a baby) this puppy. Upon seeing my reaction to her, his family offered her to me. One look at her face while she was in my arms and I knew I couldn't say “no.” Dreams really do come true; I now have the cutest puppy in all of Central America.

Originally, I had named her Lupita because I thought it was an adorable name and did not know that giving a dog a human name is like an insult in Nicaraguan culture. Therefore, I changed her name to Risa (ree-sa) which means laughter because that is exactly what she adds to my life. Thankfully, I live with a very loving family here that have welcomed Risa with open arms. My host mother calls her "mi nieta" (my granddaughter) and my host brother calls her "mi sobrina" (my niece). I understand the full responsibility of having a dog here and plan on bringing her everywhere I can with me including the USA when I end my service in 2014.

Enjoy the photos of her cute-ness! I wish you all the happiness that my little Risa has already brought to my life here. 




1 comments:

Carli said...

can't wait to see her!!!! when i get pup they'll be bffs :)

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2010 Nicaragua, Peace Corps, and I.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.