Monday, January 16, 2012

This is my frist post from Nicaragua and I will try my best to keep up with this thing but am making no promises. Last weekend I moved in with my first host family in the small town of Guisiquiliapa (whiskey-lee-a-pa) near Jinotepe in the Carazo department. My family is very kind and consists of a mom, a dad, and their 4 year old son, Nicolino  in their small house. I have my own room in their 2 bedroom house. For income, my host dad makes and sells organic highly fertilized dirt. They also have horses, roosters, hens, a dog, a cat, and unfortunately cockroaches. I promise to post pictures soon. Side note, mosquitoes love me and despite wearing repellant, I  have more than 12 bites already that itch like crazy. Good thing I´m on antimalarials! Fingers crossed, I don´t get dengue.

My days consist of 6 hours of spanish class 4 days a week. Two other days per week are classes on Nicaragua, safety, their status of health, and our jobs that we will be doing. Since I will be teaching nutrition at the casa maternas, my fellow Maternal and Child health volunteers and I will undergo gardening classes as well. My family is patient with my poor spanish and speaks slowly and repeats things for me when I don´t understand.  I am already surprised by how much spanish I remember and how well I am improving. My family and spanish teacher here speak NO english so I have no choice but to speak in spanish. Actually, right now I am having a hard time typing in english and not spanish because my mind is set to spanish. Also, this week I have to start a youth group with 2 other volunteers and teach them how to teach safe sex practices with others and other health information.

Nicaragua is a poor country but the people so far are very pleasant and it is beyond beautiful. I can´t wait to see more of the country especially the volcanoes and islands where are a plenty. Nicaragua´s tagline is, Land of Lakes and Volcanoes. 

That is all for now folks. Pictures to come!

5 comments:

Tonya said...

Cherrie!

Wow, girl! This is AWESOME! I got really giddy when I read you get to garden :). Stay safe and happy. Miss you already!

Un abrazo fuerte,

Tonya

smithcry12 said...

Sister bear!! I am so happy that your family has animals. Eat lots of garlic to keep the bugs away. What water do you drink? Do you have to buy it or boil it? I am so excited to hear about all of your adventures. Bruin and I miss you so much and so do Dad and Dexter boo. We want to send your pillows and a bed :(

Love,
Crystal and Bru-bear

Kristen said...

YAY! Thanks for making a blog. I will be hittin this up fo sho to check up on you girl!!!! xoxo

Cherrie said...

I am provided with clean bottled water during my training. no worries on that. remember you cant send anything valuable. the bed is fine enough. i actually go to bed at 8, fall asleep fast because my mind is exhausted from hearing, speaking, and thinking in spanish all day and i wake up at 7 for class. with an unfortunate interuption at dawn from the damn roosters. no worries, i am well rested.

smithcry12 said...

I just read this word-for-word to dad and he LOL'ed. Totally sounds like you and those "damn roosters". I am home for the weekend, the ice melted so I made it to dad's. Bruin and Dexter are biting each other and playing like wild animals as usual. We miss you sister bear!

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2010 Nicaragua, Peace Corps, and I.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.